Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Assault by Previous Employer - Any Recourse?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Ling776, 21 March 2016.

  1. Ling776

    Ling776 Member

    21 March 2016
    Likes Received:
    Hi there.

    I am seeking legal help here since this matter is timely and at the moment, I don't have the necessary resources to get a lawyer.

    I had been at my previous job for over 6 months. Throughout this period, I worked my way up from an entry-level job in hospitality to a more specified financial role. I built up extremely good relationships with my coworkers and my managers.

    A few weeks ago, I had a conflict with the owner of the company I worked for. Skipping the details, this conflict involved him to first verbally abuse me, then physically assault me, unprovoked. Some injury was caused to my testicular region (I voluntarily went to the hospital the next day). There were swelling and a considerable sense of discomfort, which is documented on a hospital release sheet.

    I resigned two days later before my next shift.

    I have suffered extensive psychological impact - particularly being separated from some of my closest friends that work at the company. I felt like I didn't have a choice but to leave.

    I understand that I can move through this matter under the confines of a criminal prosecution. However, due to monetary and academic constraints, I really would regret having to go through that ordeal.

    Firstly, is there a method by which I can request a monetary reparation in a trade for my silence on the matter and decision not to pursue the matter in a court of law? Or is that considered extortion?

    Secondly, what do you guys think my best course of action would be under Criminal Law?

  2. Ponala

    Ponala Well-Known Member

    10 February 2015
    Likes Received:
    You open yourself up to blackmail/extortion by saying you pay me and I will keep quiet.

    You can report the assault to the Police, up to them whether charges are laid.

Share This Page