QLD Asking for Bond back after it's been refunded

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Grace4561

23 April 2018
Hi, on the 3rd of March this year I vacated a property I was renting with minimal issues, (we hired cleaners who needed to come back and re clean again because the first clean didn't meet the real estates standard) and on the 26nd of March the Bond was returned in full.

Both myself and my roommate have paid all rent in full.

Then last Tuesday the 17th of April both my roommate and I were invoiced for the bond being paid back in full. We called the realestate about the issue and they said to disregard the email, but today I've received two more of the exact same invoice. Are they legally allowed to ask for the Bond back after over a month being away from the property?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Maybe, but based on your post any circumstances where it is possible don't seem to exist.

Send the invoice back in writing (eg email) confirming what the agent told you, and when, then ignore further invoices until and unless they ratchet up the demand.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Yea i would have thought once the bond is repaid the tenancy contract has run its course, over finished. You cannot then phoenix a contract that has ended and try to reclaim the bond, its absurd.

They may try to sue you for damage to property etc etc but that is an entirely separate legal matter and since a period of time has passed since you were there, i don't see how they could prove a case? Because you can simply say it must have happened after you left, and they would have to disprove that.