QLD Appointing Legal guardians from Overseas

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
29 April 2018
Hi,

I have been married for 9 years and we have a 5 month old baby. Me and my husband has decided to make a Will soon- main reason is to appoint a legal guardian/s for our daughter just in case (e.g. we both pass away) I am an Australian Citizen but I was raised and born in the Philippines. We would like my parents to be the legal guardians for our child instead of my in-laws who are both Australians- but unfit to take care of a child. Is it possible to appoint my parents to be the legal guardians of our baby? they live in the Philippines, have been on tourist Visas to spend time with their grand child and they are the only ones we know that can ensure the welfare of our child on a long-term basis and are willing to take full responsibility for her physical, mental, emotional, financial well-being. Any help/information will be appreciated! thank you!

Lennon

11 September 2014
You can't appoint a legal guardian by your will. You can nominate the person that you would like to become legal guardian, but that will not be legally binding.