QLD Animal Attacks - Take Legal Action Under Australian Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SamTril1

25 January 2016
Hi, my family and I just moved into a residential home in north QLD. Upon moving in, we noticed the neighbour's dog frequently entering our yard despite scaring it off.

We had not seen it for a couple of days and made a duck pen up with 5 ducklings. Well, today I found them mangled in their home with obvious dog bite marks and a hole under the fence that was way too big to be a cat hole. All the ducks were whole. They looked like they had been tossed about and left to die.

I guess what this all comes down to is that I didn't see their dog do it but I know it did. Can I take legal action under Australian Law from the animal attacks or is it something that I have to just suck up?

Thank you for your time in advance. I really appreciate it as do my wife and daughter who are absolutely devastated.

S

Sophea

Owners of domestic animals will be responsible for any harm they cause others if they were negligent. If a dog escapes and bites someone, or another animal then the owner will be liable. The issue you may have here is proving that it was the dog next door, as your only evidence is circumstantial.

SamTril1

25 January 2016
I had animal control out to mine after the incident to gather evidence, and he told me the exact same thing.

Family is very upset as they were not only our pets, they also set us back a fair bit of money. Not happy.

Also thanks for the reply :)