NSW Australia law about wrong price

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dan Mills

21 May 2018
Hi
My name is Dan
I shop at TEMT Westfield Penrith on Sat 19.May. 2018 in the afternoon.
My sisters in law and i see items on the rack say 50% off from original price and also on the tag still have the red tag 50%. We been time to tried on and we like it. Going to purchase it at counter. They scan the item and show on screen is full price. They said they can not do anything to change price and going charge me full price.
One of the staff explained to me by law they allow to leave the price like that in 24 hours.
I did not accept her explained abd she call sercurity to move me out the shop with her say im not welcome shopping at Temt anymore.
Question is do i wrong when i did not accept her explain?
Do the retail have to give the customer the price they display on the rack?
Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
IMO, quick answer is NO, retail do not have to give the customer the price they display on the rack.

But law is more complex and other factors can come into play like whether they advertised and you responded to the ad. In your facts this didn't happen, hence my answer.

Clancy

6 April 2016
IMO, quick answer is NO, retail do not have to give the customer the price they display on the rack.

But law is more complex and other factors can come into play like whether they advertised and you responded to the ad. In your facts this didn't happen, hence my answer.

So what is to stop stores putting low prices on the shelf/tag to encourage people to take up the item and then charge them the high price at the counter?.... As a way of boosting sales, since allot of people will simply pay the higher price who would not have bought the item otherwise if the correct price was on the shelf/tag

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
If it was happening on a regular basis (provable pattern of behaviour) it is against the current law.

A one-off mistake on pricing is completely different to deliberate intention to mislead.

Where people get confused is that some stores have a policy whereby they'll sell the item at the lower price. Store policy is not law.

Clancy

6 April 2016
If it was happening on a regular basis (provable pattern of behaviour) it is against the current law.

A one-off mistake on pricing is completely different to deliberate intention to mislead.

Where people get confused is that some stores have a policy whereby they'll sell the item at the lower price. Store policy is not law.

So the Op could go on the internet and research if there is a pattern of behavior by this store, and then he might have a case?

There is just something about the OP's story that is red flagging this store in my mind as being 'naughty' .... in which case there will be other victimized customers talking about it online for sure.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Yes and yes, searching the internet for comments may help.