NSW Caught shoplifting at Coles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Redruby

21 December 2022
This is really embarrassing. I have been caught walking out of the store without paying for all my items. They initially issued me a warning because that was the first time and I apologized and offered to pay for the items i did not scan. They added it all up and it was over $50 so they issued me a tresspass paper - a ban essentially for one year. I did not have any ID on me so they took a photo of my facebook account, asked for my date of birth, nationality and address. I confirmed all those. Then they took a photo of me and handed me a piece of paper which said the police will be notfied although they did not call them when they issued me with the document. I am wondering whether there are going to be any legal consequences to this in terms of a legal record on my actual profile for police check? I dont know how legit it would be to search somebody from facebook and whether they will send any correspondence to my address etc? This is truly embarrassing and i just need a closure from this as i have a family and i want to make sure there are no legal repercussions to this? Thank you

Exhausted&terrified

17 May 2023
This is really embarrassing. I have been caught walking out of the store without paying for all my items. They initially issued me a warning because that was the first time and I apologized and offered to pay for the items i did not scan. They added it all up and it was over $50 so they issued me a tresspass paper - a ban essentially for one year. I did not have any ID on me so they took a photo of my facebook account, asked for my date of birth, nationality and address. I confirmed all those. Then they took a photo of me and handed me a piece of paper which said the police will be notfied although they did not call them when they issued me with the document. I am wondering whether there are going to be any legal consequences to this in terms of a legal record on my actual profile for police check? I dont know how legit it would be to search somebody from facebook and whether they will send any correspondence to my address etc? This is truly embarrassing and i just need a closure from this as i have a family and i want to make sure there are no legal repercussions to this? Thank you
What ended up happening? Did the police come to your house?