Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sal1

24 June 2016
My daughter has recently had a final hearing gaining 50% custody of children of her daughter. My daughter is currently on Centrelink Newstart allowance, paying child support every fortnight as her daughter lives with her non-biological father, as well as caring for her the time she is in her care.

The non-biological father is ordering my daughter to pay 50% of the childcare/ weekly account. He gets childcare rebate for the childcare. He is also stating she has to pay 50% of school fees ( public primary school 2019).

Can you please advise if this correct or where she can seek guidance on this matter, please. She lives off $ 368 per fortnight.

The non-biological father works part time & part DSP pension.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The non biological father is ordering my daughter to pay 50% of the childcare/ weekly account

How is this happening? Through CSA?

Sal1

24 June 2016
My daughter is paying through Centrelink child support calculated by her Centrelink payment.

The non-biological father is demanding the 50% on his own back there nothing in the court orders stipulating his demand.

Hope that answers your question.

sammy01

27 September 2015
He can demand it all the likes but that doesn't mean she has to pay it.
Tell him to get stuffed.
Oh, ok don't
But tell him that if he thinks she has an obligation to pay then he can take it up with the child support agency and they can garnish her centrelink payments. BTW they won't because child support is all she has to pay.

Mate she needs to stand up to him and simply explain that he needs to stop making demands because she has no obligation. Simple

Sal1

24 June 2016
He can demand it all the likes but that doesn't mean she has to pay it.
Tell him to get stuffed.
Oh, ok don't
But tell him that if he thinks she has an obligation to pay then he can take it up with the child support agency and they can garnish her centrelink payments. BTW they won't because child support is all she has to pay.

Mate she needs to stand up to him and simply explain that he needs to stop making demands because she has no obligation. Simple
Thanks, that's my understanding too.

The Cheese

21 November 2018
I'd also be getting her to check what her income is listed at in her child support assessment. If she is only on Newstart ($15,500 max with 1 child - I think), and with 50% care, her ongoing payments should be nil. If you have more than 14% care of the child and your income is less than $24500, you won't have to pay anything.