NSW 1 weekend a fortnight,1 evening a week and half holidays?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rick O'Shay

9 May 2015
I'm just wondering what is the general amount of time father's usually get to spend with their children with/without court involvement. My heading suggests what I consider is the usual but I just want an idea of whether I'm doing a bit of wishful thinking etc.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
There is no 'normal' without court involvement. It is whatever works for the couple.

Court considers the circumstances and decides 'what is best' for the kids. 5 nights/ft plus half holidays is a good result.

sammy01

27 September 2015
The law suggests that unless there are exceptional circumstances - abuse? or the age of the kid? 6 mth old vs 10 yr old? But as a rule - children should spend substantial and significant time. To put a number on that 4 or more nights a fortnight and half holidays.

Jimbo!

2 February 2019
I'm just wondering what is the general amount of time father's usually get to spend with their children with/without court involvement. My heading suggests what I consider is the usual but I just want an idea of whether I'm doing a bit of wishful thinking etc.

I have mine 50/50. Work is pretty understanding and I do flexible hours. What you are suggesting is probably the minimum.

Migz

20 November 2016
What your title says is the standard that the Brisbane Fed Circuit Court run with for Dad's... it's a joke of a system, I think they believe every Father should be out in the mines and just pay large amounts of Child Support and have no contact with your kids at all...