Working out 5/9 cycle details

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Keeks

Well-Known Member
28 February 2019
26
1
124
Looking for some clarification from the community about how a 5/9 cycle would play out in the following circumstance where Consent Orders state:

Children live with parent A and spend time with parent B for five nights a fortnight, being every first Thursday after school to Monday morning school drop-off, and every second Thursday after school to Friday morning school drop-off. School holidays are equally split with parent B having the first half of each of the short term breaks from Friday after school to the middle Saturday.

Question is, how does the school-term cycle end and commence usually?

For example, if the week before the school holidays start is the second week in the cycle, then parent B has the children on that Thursday night, and then from Friday night all the way through to the middle of the school holidays. Parent A has the children for the second half of the holidays. The first week back at school would resume and parent B would have the children from that Thursday through to Monday and we’d be back on the cycle.

I’m specifically after some clarity where the reverse happens, ie, that the final week of school is week one of the fortnightly cycle, and parent B would otherwise have the children for the four-night arrangement but for the start of the school holidays. What then happens first week back at school? Does it revert to the second week of the fortnightly cycle and parent B just misses out on those three nights during the cross-over? Or does it pick up exactly where the cycle left off (ie, first day of school holidays) and parent B gets the children on Friday through to Monday to make up?

Hope this makes sense – it did in my head this morning but not so much on paper right now…

Thanks in advance for any advice
 

sammy01

Well-Known Member
27 September 2015
4,632
663
2,894
Your orders are eerily similar to my old ones.
Parent B has the kids from Thursday of the first week of each school term. "first Thursday after school to Monday morning school drop-off," The purpose of the clause is to prevent arguments about who gets the first weekend after school resumes. Parent B ALWAYS gets the first weekend at the end of the first week of term.

If you're the primary carer. Stress less you have about 60% care, the other parent only 40%. Give a little, stress less and live longer.
If you're not the primary carer and the ex is trying to screw you over, learn to enjoy it. Put simply this stuff ain't worth the battle. Trust me. Been there. Every bloody holidays the ex would change the rules about when the holidays start. So for example She'd say the holidays start on the Monday, so she could stop me having them for the weekend. OR if I was to have them for the second half of the holidays, she'd insist the second week started on the Monday and the holidays ended on the Friday, so I'd only have the kids for 4 nights in the holidays. Sadly, my advice is learn to suck it up. Some fights are just not worth having.
 

Keeks

Well-Known Member
28 February 2019
26
1
124
Your orders are eerily similar to my old ones.
Parent B has the kids from Thursday of the first week of each school term. "first Thursday after school to Monday morning school drop-off," The purpose of the clause is to prevent arguments about who gets the first weekend after school resumes. Parent B ALWAYS gets the first weekend at the end of the first week of term.

If you're the primary carer. Stress less you have about 60% care, the other parent only 40%. Give a little, stress less and live longer.
If you're not the primary carer and the ex is trying to screw you over, learn to enjoy it. Put simply this stuff ain't worth the battle. Trust me. Been there. Every bloody holidays the ex would change the rules about when the holidays start. So for example She'd say the holidays start on the Monday, so she could stop me having them for the weekend. OR if I was to have them for the second half of the holidays, she'd insist the second week started on the Monday and the holidays ended on the Friday, so I'd only have the kids for 4 nights in the holidays. Sadly, my advice is learn to suck it up. Some fights are just not worth having.

Thanks Sammy - we're from camp parent B, and just trying to anticipate any confusion on both sides about the wording.

Some of your other posts have left me shaking my head in disbelief, so I know you're talking from a position of experience with the "suck-it-up" advice. I'm hopeful that in our situation these new orders - which have been 'ordained' if you like, by a higher power than either party - will give us something much more concrete to base our future lives on than just the whims or charity of one parent.
 

sammy01

Well-Known Member
27 September 2015
4,632
663
2,894
Yep.. you are over thinking it... my favorite wtf interpretation...."or by agreement" means she cancelled all my access because she no longer agreed....