Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
A legal guardian is a person who has the legal authority (and the corresponding duty) to care for the personal and property interests of another person, called a ward. Guardians are typically used in four situations: guardianship for an incapacitated senior (due to old age or infirmity), guardianship for a minor, and guardianship for developmentally disabled adults and for adults found to be incompetent.

View More On
  1. M

    NSW Visitation After Mental Health Treatment?

    Urgent help required please! My wife is a diagnosed Bipolar II sufferer and has recently been told by her psychiatrist that she should seek help for sex addiction. Her condition has been deteriorating over the 16 years we've been together and her episodes have become worse. The neglect and...
  2. K

    QLD How to Get Guardianship of 13-Year-Old Nephew in India?

    Hi there, How can I get legal guardianship of a 13-year-old NZ citizen nephew (currently living in India with his parents) for the purpose of his study in Queensland? Kindly reply as soon as possible because of the commencement of the study year. Thanks in advance.
  3. R

    QLD Restraining Order on Joint Guardian?

    Hi, I have joint guardianship of my mother with her sister. My mum has spent some time in hospital. When discharge came, I found her a disability community to make her new home as she needs supervision of diabetes and mobility needs. Her sister, the joint guardian, approached the community...
  4. J

    SA Seeking Provision for Mother's Deceased Estate?

    I live in Adelaide; all my family live in Sydney. I have been in contact with Legal Aid in SA, and they advised I would need to seek advice in NSW. My parents sought Property Settlement, which was ruled on and settled several years ago. My father passed away in 02/16 and my mother 05/16. My...
  5. M

    NSW Can I Prepare Enduring Power of Attorney and Guardianship Myself?

    Can anyone give me any info on these? I am domiciled in Australia but I have property in the UK. I have just made separate wills in each country (taking advantage of the free wills network by giving money to charity) and now need to turn my attention to further measures such as Enduring Power...
  6. L

    QLD How to Give Someone Guardianship of a Child?

    Our family friend wishes to grant my husband and I long term guardianship for her unborn child. Is this possible?
  7. A

    WA Father Wants Sole Custody of Children - Any Help?

    Hello everyone, I am looking at going full custody of children. I am a Father of two, a 9-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy. I do not want to restrict the ex in any way to see the kids but want the kids in my care full time. At the moment, they are in my care full time but it's not a written...
  8. R

    SA Grandparents Rights - Family Law Court to Obtain Contact with Children?

    If the child is under the Guardianship of the Minister (an order through the Youth Court of South Australia), is the Family Law Court able to hear a case as the grandmother is seeking contact with her grandchildren, and Families SA are making decisions to reduce and remove grandmother's contact...
  9. L

    QLD Family Law - How to Get Guardianship of Sister?

    I have a 13-year-old daughter and I want full guardianship of my sister. What can I do? Is there a legal process involved under Family Law?
  10. V

    QLD Executor of Will - Fraudulent Behaviour?

    My uncle was taking money out of my nana's (his mother's) bank account via internet banking. Nana found out about this and called a family meeting in which his 3 sisters attended, but he declined. Nana was very distressed over the thought of her own son taking advantage of the position of...