NSW Can I Prepare Enduring Power of Attorney and Guardianship Myself?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Milton

5 March 2016
Can anyone give me any info on these?

I am domiciled in Australia but I have property in the UK. I have just made separate wills in each country (taking advantage of the free wills network by giving money to charity) and now need to turn my attention to further measures such as Enduring Power of Attorney, Enduring Guardianship, and Advanced Care Directives.

Can I do them myself? Are there any useful websites to help?

GC.

26 October 2015
For NSW, forms can be found at the two links below, look for "Option 3" at the bottom of the page for the DIY forms. When my wife and I did this, we simply rang the local court and made an appointment to see the registrar for them to witness the forms.

We had the forms all filled out before we went (they don't assist with filling them in), and the registrar made sure that we understood what they meant and then witnessed them for us. No hassle and no cost (but ours were very simple, so we didn't bother with a solicitor). This was done earlier this year.

Appoint an Enduring Guardian
Make a Power of Attorney

The guardianship form we used was different (it was part of a fact sheet all about guardianships), but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Milton

5 March 2016
Thanks GC - I have had a look and downloaded the forms. I may need to call on you for more help when I actually start completing the forms!