QLD Write-off Car - One day into new policy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

juicy

28 November 2019
Recently had a car written-off and my policy renewed that day it happened, just wondering if there was a way to not pay the premium as I was one day into my renewed policy?

Not sure if I asking the right forum?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Are you not intending to make a claim under the insurance policy to cover the vehicle?

Regardless, you're entitled to a refund on the premium if you can cancel the policy.

juicy

28 November 2019
Yeah I am making a claim with the insurance company but the final payout has the premium deducted from it. Is there way to not pay that?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Okay, if you're making a claim that's a slightly different matter.

An insurance policy covers you for a certain period of time (usually stated as X date to midnight on Y date). In return for that coverage, you agree to pay a premium. Let's say the period for Policy A is stated to be from 1 November 2018 to midnight on 31 October 2019. That means you're covered for a claimable event during that period. If it happens outside that period, e.g. on 1 November 2019, then you're not covered under Policy A's period.

The next year (1/11/19 to midnight on 31/10/20) is Policy B's period. It doesn't matter whether it's the same insurer or a different one - it's a new policy of insurance. It's actually easier if you imagine you swapped insurers. If you make a claim for an event under Policy B, but haven't paid the premium for that period, you're effectively asking for an insurance payout without any cost to you. In a sense, 'free insurance'. It doesn't work like that.

Where you make a claim, insurers are entitled to payment of the full insurance premium for the policy period. They've agreed to cover you for the insured risks, and you've agreed to pay the set premium. Very simply: If you don't pay the premium, they don't have to provide the cover.

juicy

28 November 2019
Yeah as I thought, basically unlucky all this happened so close to the renewal date >.<

Thanks for your help! you are a gem!