VIC Would this be Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fo Fm

28 May 2015
if I make an offer on a property in my small town can I make my offer conditional on the vendor not using a particular law firm.

Law firm 'Blogs' behaved improperly towards me and I want to make sure they never make anythng more out of me, directly or indirectly.

If law firm 'Blogs' found out I had added that condition is there anything they can do to harm me.

If the vendor wanted to use law firm 'Blogs' I would rather not buy the property. Is this defamation?

S

Sophea

Such a term is definitely unusual, however I don't see any problem with including it. And I cannot think of any grounds it may give Law firm "Blogs" to have any cause of action against you (defamation included), because you are actually not saying anything bad or defamatory about them (are you). You are simply stating that you won't proceed with the contract in the event they are used by the vendor.

Fo Fm

28 May 2015
Thank you Sophea, I understand I can not elaborate on my reasons for avoiding law firm 'Blogs' I just want to do everything I can to avoid any future involvement with them.