QLD Will I Lose My Drivers Licence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Buble

28 October 2016
Hello,

I am married with 3 small children under 5 and am the single money earner and my job as a salesman means I travel a lot. I have about 2-3 months (think end of Jan) to go on a 12-month good behaviour bond after accumulating 12 demerit points. This week I got pulled over by an unmarked cop who gave me a ticket for doing 105kms in a 100km zone, a single point offence. He said the fine will come in the mail.

If I left the fine unpaid for a couple of months until the bond had expired and then paid it, would that save me from losing my drivers licence? Does only one point accumulated mean I will lose my licence? TMR.qld.gov.au is confusing because it says what will happen if you accumulate 2 or more points however, nothing if you accumulate 1?

I believe I could argue the case because the cop was following me and claimed I was doing 105kms, never showed me any proof as such, I would prefer to avoid court however.

The other thing is my drivers licence is due for renewal in January. Is there any loopholes there...?

I really just want to avoid losing my licence.

Please help!

Lance

31 October 2015
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Driver Licensing) Regulation 2010 S79 (4) basically says that you are of good behaviour as long as you don't get more than 1 demerit point awarded to you within the year, hence why they state if you accumulate 2 points the further penalty happens. You should be fine as long as you don't do anything else before the end of January.