Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Which Country's Employment Law am I Subject to?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Marcos Vinícius da Silva, 22 July 2016.

1. Marcos Vinícius da Silva

Hi.

I'm from Brazil and will start working remotely on an Australian-based company. I'd like to know if I should be contracted as a normal employee of the Australian company under Employment Law or should I just receive the payment and pay my taxes in Brazil?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Since you are residing in Brazil you should pay your taxes there. Do you have an actual contract of employment with the Australian company? Or are you merely a contractor? If you have a contract with them, where can the contract be enforced? Or what law applies to the contract?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Serge Gorval

Serge Gorval Well-Known Member

If you are working for an Aus company and are engaged as an employee, then Aus law will apply to you. I highly doubt that your employer will engage you as an employee though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...