Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD What to Do about Squatter on My Property?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Alex S, 27 June 2015.

1. Alex S

Alex S Member

Hello I have just been informed that there is a squatter on my property investment where does that put me?
    Under property law, what legal implications could there be? I need advice urgently please as to what to do.

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Alex,

Do you know how long the squatter has been there? If it has been for a few months or a couple of years then you should be fine to evict them. Sometimes (very rarely), adverse possession claims come up. However a squatter needs to have taken possession and used the property as their own for 12 years. I'm assuming that situation doesn't apply to you.

Therefore, I suggest that you give the police a call and ask them to evict the squatter. They have no legal rights to be there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Alex S

Alex S Member

Hello Ivy,
    Thank you for your reply. Apparently he has been there for 3 weeks.
    I have taken the step you recommended, not that I want to give him a hard time it's just that I am concerned about litigation if he were to injure himself while there. So I have not given consent and the local officer has asked him to move on.

thanks again for your reply.
    PS I like your Avatar - to kill a mocking bird I believe :) great classic
    Kind regards
    AlexS.