NSW Squatter Keeping Property on Premises - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ffrenetic

2 January 2017
I own a unit in a block of 15 and recently have observed an apparently homeless person sleeping under cover at the rear of the property. This has been reported to the police on several occasions but the person is still trespassing in the evenings/mornings (he is absent during the day).

He keeps some possessions e.g. a mattress, blanket, roll of carpet, an old bike and a few other bits and pieces tucked away neatly during the day, under the roll of carpet.

Can we serve him a written notice to dispose of said junk in a timeframe e.g. 28 days and if he does not comply, legally throw it out?

The police said we could move it to the footpath but this does not seem like a great solution. What other options exist for removing this squatter under property law?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I assume by "we", you are referring to the Owners Corporation?
Chances are, the police will not make this a high priority,
since it is seems like more of a civil trespass.than a criminal one.

Perhaps you (that is, somebody formally acting on behalf of the the OC),
start by simply telling him, in person, in words,
that he is not permitted to remain on the land.

ffrenetic

2 January 2017
I assume by "we", you are referring to the Owners Corporation?
Chances are, the police will not make this a high priority,
since it is seems like more of a civil trespass.than a criminal one.

Perhaps you (that is, somebody formally acting on behalf of the the OC),
start by simply telling him, in person, in words,
that he is not permitted to remain on the land.

Thanks Tim - by we, I meant the group of us on the board of directors (it is a company title) - basically the same thing as owners corporation. We can try that. I agree police do not seem interested.

Regarding his property, do we have to give him written notice or can we tell him at the same time to move his property and if not gone in 28 days we can throw it out?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What about getting in contact with a support group like the Salvos. The person needs help.