What to Do About a Rental Scammer Online?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Misty

22 June 2014
I have found someone who places ads for a rental apartment he claims he owns, and that asks for rent and bond upfront (to be sent to a Western Union account, of course). When I requested a Skype call, it was refused. When I requested some ID to prove they owned it, they sent me a passport that was Australian but has obviously been tampered with.

So without me having to spend hours on the phone or online, who/ where can I report this person to authorities? Is it worth it, as they are overseas so its unlikely they will get caught? I am most concerned that they will suck in, scam and rip off someone "less fortunate", and that they appear to be forging Australian passports.

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Hi Misty,
You can report a scam to the ACCC via their SCAMwatch website:
You can report a scam to SCAMwatch (the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) via The SCAMwatch Report a Scam online form. Use this form to report a scam or suspected scam to the ACCC.

rey

25 June 2014
I also seen this same ads online, Hope this could stop before they could victimize someone