Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

What to Do About a Rental Scammer Online?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Misty, 22 June 2014.

1. Misty

Misty Member

I have found someone who places ads for a rental apartment he claims he owns, and that asks for rent and bond upfront (to be sent to a Western Union account, of course). When I requested a Skype call, it was refused. When I requested some ID to prove they owned it, they sent me a passport that was Australian but has obviously been tampered with.

So without me having to spend hours on the phone or online, who/ where can I report this person to authorities? Is it worth it, as they are overseas so its unlikely they will get caught? I am most concerned that they will suck in, scam and rip off someone "less fortunate", and that they appear to be forging Australian passports.

2. Worldly1

Worldly1 Well-Known Member

Hi Misty,
    You can report a scam to the ACCC via their SCAMwatch website:
    You can report a scam to SCAMwatch (the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) via The SCAMwatch Report a Scam online form. Use this form to report a scam or suspected scam to the ACCC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    DennisD, John R and winston wolf like this.
  3. rey

rey Member

I also seen this same ads online, Hope this could stop before they could victimize someone