VIC What should be stated on payslip??

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vicgirl77

23 March 2023
Should your status of employment be stated on your payslip??
Whether your casual or permanent?
My son is employed by a company that not only is paying him below award wage!
There is no written contract, but his payslips don’t show his employment status is that right what there doing with his pay slips?? Does your wage go up when you turn 20?
that’s another question that’s playing on my mind.
ive spoken to him about my concerns but he doesn’t want to rock the boat so to speak. Worried they might let him go!
He installs Pools so not sure what that falls under when looking up pay rates.
many help would be great fully appreciate..

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Payslips must contain:

(a) the employer's name; and
(b) the employee's name; and
(c) the period to which the pay slip relates; and
(d) the date on which the payment to which the pay slip relates was made; and
(e) the gross amount of the payment; and
(f) the net amount of the payment; and
(g) any amount paid to the employee that is a bonus, loading, allowance, penalty rate, incentive-based payment or other separately identifiable entitlement; and
(h) the Australian Business Number (if any) of the employer.

Anything else is optional. Good practice is to include award, rate of pay, and whether f/t, p/t or casual but not every employer does so.

ive spoken to him about my concerns but he doesn’t want to rock the boat so to speak. Worried they might let him go!
This is likely a serious and real issue. Your son should have good alternative employment prospects before raising these issues at work.

He installs Pools so not sure what that falls under when looking up pay rates.
While not a very good description, possibly covered by the Building and Construction General On-site Award 2020.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
My son is employed by a company that not only is paying him below award wage!
1. Which award?
2. Below ward wage, or do you mean below minimum wage?

Vicgirl77

23 March 2023
1. Which award?
2. Below ward wage, or do you mean below minimum wage?
Below the $21.70 (thereabouts)
minimum hourly wage. I’m unsure if he is covered by ‘award‘ or ‘minimum’ wage. I do know he is not getting any sick, holiday or public holiday pay. Getting $19.00 an hour and 28.00 over time rate. super and tax is coming out. Tax seems to 10%
Nothing else. He get picked up at the factory, but his day starts when at site. So time starts at site not from Factory. 6.30 to 7:30 no pay. 7:30 to 3:30 minus break time. 7.5 hours per day. Paid for..

Vicgirl77

23 March 2023
Payslips must contain:

(a) the employer's name; and
(b) the employee's name; and
(c) the period to which the pay slip relates; and
(d) the date on which the payment to which the pay slip relates was made; and
(e) the gross amount of the payment; and
(f) the net amount of the payment; and
(g) any amount paid to the employee that is a bonus, loading, allowance, penalty rate, incentive-based payment or other separately identifiable entitlement; and
(h) the Australian Business Number (if any) of the employer.

Anything else is optional. Good practice is to include award, rate of pay, and whether f/t, p/t or casual but not every employer does so.

This is likely a serious and real issue. Your son should have good alternative employment prospects before raising these issues at work.

While not a very good description, possibly covered by the Building and Construction General On-site Award 2020.
Yes your right

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Below the $21.70 (thereabouts)
minimum hourly wage. I’m unsure if he is covered by ‘award‘ or ‘minimum’ wage. I do know he is not getting any sick, holiday or public holiday pay. Getting $19.00 an hour and 28.00 over time rate. super and tax is coming out. Tax seems to 10%
Nothing else. He get picked up at the factory, but his day starts when at site. So time starts at site not from Factory. 6.30 to 7:30 no pay. 7:30 to 3:30 minus break time. 7.5 hours per day. Paid for..
And have you suggested that he join his union?

Vicgirl77

23 March 2023
Yes your right
Landscaping and pool insulation is covered under a different industries I found. So trying to work that out is an ordeal within its self.

That’s why I have raised the question on payslips. It would make things so much clearer if it was stated on them. prevent these issues.
Concrete or fibreglass both are done, one takes a lot longer to finish and has more steps involved, he’s done both knows what’s needed of him, works alone side trades too that need to finish certain sections.
ie: Plumbers