NSW Permanent part time - treated as casual.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jackdaw

9 April 2018
I work for a large, nation-wide pizza chain that has come under fire a lot for mistreating employees and making happy accidents on employees payslips.

When I first started working at this pizza chain in January, I signed a casual enterprise agreement, then a few weeks later I signed a permanent part-time contract as the pizzerias' enterprise agreement was cancelled and the fast food award was implemented - I was fine with the pay cut on the understanding that all of the award's clauses be met. To the surprise of nobody this has not been the case.

I work less than 38 hours a week, but my shifts can vary from 3 hours on Friday and Saturday one week to 6 hours on Saturday the next. As stated in the award - "At the time of first being employed, the employer and the part-time employee will agree, in writing, on a regular pattern of work specifying at least -

●the number of hours worked each day
●which days of the week the employee will work
●the actual starting and finishing times of each day
●that any variation will be in writing
●that the minimum daily engagement is three hours;and
●the times of taking and the duration of meal breaks."

The most my employer and I ever agreed on were the days in which I could work - 4 days a week and I'm given only 2 (not that I'm complaining about that - but any variation to my normal work hours are not in writing)

So i'm technically a permanent part-time employee, being treated as a causal - for part-time rates.
What are my rights here?
Thank you so much.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What do you want to happen?
Is your job important to you?
What were the normal hours you are supposed to work?

Suspect you have rights but do you want to exercise those rights as one possible consequence is you will be sacked..