QLD Was Sold a Lemon Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Carly83

7 March 2017
I brought a car from a car dealership and 7 months later, it needs a new engine. Also, when I first brought the car. The roadworthy stated that the restraints passed the roadworthy. When the backseat belt was stuck fully out and the front drivers seat belt is frayed.

Also it was flashing that the car was due for a service and that there was an air bag fault.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Carly,

There are guarantees under Australian Consumer Law that the vehicle should last a reasonable amount of time, however it all depends on you doing things within your power as well. If you were driving it around for 7 months with a car service light flashing the dealer may not be liable for the new engine. I say this because it could be argued that you should have done something earlier. & months is a reasonably long time to raise issues with the seatbelts as well.

The following Blog article can give you some useful information: Lemon Car? What You Can Do Under Australian Consumer Law - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au