QLD Vitronic Speed Camera </= 4 lanes of traffic

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dave_

8 December 2020
Hi, I have a speeding fine in Queensland from a vehicle mounted Vitronic Laser camera. I have looked on the manufacturers web site and it says it can monitor less than or equal to 4 lanes of traffic. The van was on the other side of the road, between us was 2m of grass, 2 lanes of traffic (approximately = 12m of pavement (two lanes and 2 verge)), a dirt and garden water drain approximately 6-8m wide, another lane of traffic 6m, then my lane. Is the 4 lanes they talk about consecutive or do they target specific lanes irrespective of separations.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
I think you'll find that they target up to four specific lanes together at one time, anywhere within the distance it can 'see'. Exact specifications are notoriously cagey (for understandable reasons), but the four lanes specification will be about contemporaneously measuring up to four lanes of oncoming traffic at a time - not that it can only see four lanes distance away.

Further, if you challenge it, expect them to appear with a certificate of calibration as well which can be used as evidence that it was correctly set up and in working order.

Reactions: Dave_

Dave_

8 December 2020
Thanks

I notice you say "4 lanes of oncoming traffic" does it make a difference that of the 4 lanes 2 are oncoming and I was travelling away.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Depends on what it was calibrated for. Makes little difference except that I doubt it would be able to read traffic going both ways.

Reactions: Dave_

sammy01

27 September 2015
Dave- your post fails to mention that you're of the opinion that you were not speeding?
So I'm assuming you were.
Pay the fine. The cop who nabbed you has been trained in how to use the thing. You? You have read some information on a website that wasn't very clearly explained, so much so you had to come and ask here. Which of these two options is gonna sound more convincing in court?