Victoria

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sam1988

16 May 2021
Hi
Some friends went shopping about a month ago at a large shopping complex.

I don’t why but one of them I think shoplifted from Target Big W or Kmart (I don’t know where) cause they didn’t say anything but I have my doubts. They didn’t get caught and nobody stopped them.

I have never done anything stupid like that but I was hanging around with them. My question is if I go back to the same shopping complex and go to those stores or any other stores with them will they stop me and ask me questions and embarrass me?

I haven’t done anything so I have nothing to hide but what proof do they need to have. I never put anything in my bag and never stole anything so can I still be responsible for my friends actions?

Also is it the case that if you shoplift say 1January you have to be stopped and charged then - once you leave the store you can’t be caught for shoplifting say 1 month later?

Sam1988

16 May 2021
Hi
How does it work if I go back to the store? Let’s say they suspect me of shoplifting incident that happened 1 month before?
What can they do? Or say to me?