VIC Traffic Infridgement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Britches

28 May 2021
Hi,
I received a txt advising I had a speeding infringement registered 20 April 2019.
I have received an extension to deal with this from the magistrates court yesterday however since the fine was so long ago is it outside of the statute of limitations ?

Britches

28 May 2021
Sorry I should of added the below

Apparently they posted the infringement notice to an address that was no longer valid. I do not understand then why it took them so long to txt me - VicRoads has my mobile phone number - why not txt me when they were not getting a response after 2 notices were sent?

Ponala

10 February 2015
The Infringement Act removes the statute of limitations in certain circumstances when a ticket goes unpaid or is contested etc., basically it 'resets' the date for the statute of limitations.

They are not required to text you, only required to post out the forms.

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
Hi,
I received a txt advising I had a speeding infringement registered 20 April 2019.
I have received an extension to deal with this from the magistrates court yesterday however since the fine was so long ago is it outside of the statute of limitations ?
Do you have any "valid" excuse to contest the infringement?
If so, apply to have the matter at the Magistrate.
A valid excuse is for example health problems (you need to show evidence), other than that I suggest you pay the fine and quit the matter.