SA Trademark similar to a movie name

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jason Smith

19 April 2017
Hi,

I am about to launch a wine label that has the same name as a famous surf movie. I have the trademark in all wine related categories but want to know if I can use surfing to promote my wine?

Regards
Jason

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi Jason, whilst the answer to your question is difficult to answer definitively, if deception and or confusion may be generated in the public by a purported association between your wine label versus the movie and their intellectual property in it, you should be very wary about promoting your label by surfing. Particularly is this the case when the same name is used. The public may see an association where none exists and be misled by the situation.

Paul Cott

26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
The key issue or points is the potential for confusion or misleading (even if unintentional) of the public by similarities in the businesses or seeming associations between the movie and your new label and it's marketing.

Kim Walters

18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
You may advertise and promote your wine including through, say, a surfing advertisement, provided it is clear that the brand you are promoting is your wine and not the movie. Paul is correct, there should be no misleading and deceptive associations. As the owner of the trade mark in the brand, you have the right to advertise and promote it, provided the public is not misled or deceived as to the identity of the source of the supply.