WA Time Period for Burial after Passing Away?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GHeff

14 July 2015
After a person has passed away and a death certificate has been obtained and all the relevant authorities have been notified, is there a time period stated by law that the body has to be cremated or buried? Also is there any legal requirements for the transportation of the body between a house and a crematorium or cemetery? I am asking this question based on religious reasons.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi GHeff,

There are no time limits as far as I know. Nor any laws regarding transport.

I am not familiar with WA law, however, in Victoria, there are laws regarding:
  • Who decides what to do with the body, and what form of burial to perform, if no will is left;
  • If burial will not be in a cemetery but on private land, you need the approval of the Secretary of the Department of Human Services;
  • Cremations must be done on in a licensed cemetery after the trustee of the cemetery has signed off on it. If you want to cremate the body outside of the cemetery, you will again need the approval of the Secretary of the Department of Human Services.
I suspect the laws in WA are similar to those in Victoria, though, the person to contact for approval may be different.

Try contacting the Australian Government Department of Human Services, WA Births, Deaths and Marriages or WA Department of Health for more specific information about what you want to do.

Reactions: Sophea