QLD Theft of Money from Work - What Happens Next?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Damosous75

17 August 2015
Hi,

I used money from work to gamble. I have admitted to this and lost my job. The theft has been reported to the police. What happens next?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Damosous75,
What happens next is generally uncertain. That said, in a typical gambling theft investigation:
  1. You may be interviewed by police about the alleged theft;
  2. You may be arrested and charged with one or more offences;
  3. The police may submit a brief of evidence to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) based on statements provided by you and your former employer. They may also attempt to substantiate your statements by collecting evidence from bank/s and your gambling locations; and
  4. The DPP may review the brief of evidence and decide how to manage your prosecution.
Please consider engaging a criminal lawyer (or legal aid, if you don't have available funds) at your earliest opportunity. All the best and please keep us update with your progress.

Further resources:
Being charged with an offence | Your rights, crime and the law | Queensland Government
Legal Aid Queensland - Fact Sheet - Have You Been Charged with an Offence? [PDF]