VIC The man who assaulted me admitted it via a phone call. I recorded it. Can I distribute the call?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CeeBee

1 April 2018
I was assaulted in January of this year in the US by a man I considered to be a friend. We are both Australian citizens.

He lied in order to receive consent to touch me, and when I asked him to stop, he became very angry. There were multiple situations where I was extremely uncomfortable with him touching me (and forcing me to touch him).

I've spoken to the police here, and despite us both being Australian citizens, I was told it would be up to the US police to prosecute. They said the US police are unlikely to open an international investigation for an indecent assault.

I recently recorded a phone conversation with the man, where he admitted to assaulting me. He also admitted to lying to various mutual friends about it, to make it seem as though I was over reacting and making things up. He told them nothing had happened - even though it had. Seven different people were named.

I am planning on getting a restraining order against him - however I want to know if I can distribute the phone call to the people he named in the call.

I want to clear my name with some of the people he has lied too. But I'm not sure if it's against the law to distribute the call.

Thanks.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
I am not sure about Australia, but video recording or voice recording of a person without their knowledge is illegal with the exception that it is to protect yourself, so if you are not sure that the recording achieves this objective then you will be in trouble. This is in a different country but I am not sure about Australia, best way is to talk to a lawyer, do not rely on answers here, use this forum to get basic information or direction but don't take it as legal advice. As you notice no one will give you legal advice.

Other point is that this occurred in a different country, I am not sure if you can report the person here, but it could help you in getting a restraining order, also, better talk to a lawyer, don't rely on my comment.

Good luck.