The LawAnswers.com.au Story

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lawanswers

Staff member
6 April 2014
I'm Seamus from Melbourne, co-founder of LawAnswers.com.au.

There are complex restrictions on how lawyers can advertise and provide legal advice in each Australian state and territory.

That said, as a qualified lawyer, I receive legal questions from friends almost every day. Wanting to help friends to help themselves with their legal questions and reduce strain on the under resourced legal aid system, I started LawAnswers.com.au as an experiment to understand whether a diverse community of Australians (both lawyers and non-lawyers alike) could enable their fellow Australians to better understand popular legal issues.

I've also been partially inspired by the Good Judgment Project in the US where unqualified people using Google were able to estimate the probability of intelligence events with the same or better accuracy than trained CIA agents.

I warmly share LawAnswers.com.au with you as your forum for Australian legal Q&A!

rhapsody rue

11 September 2014
I stumbled across this site last month. I hope you do really well and in turn help many who find the legal process daunting, like myself. Am sharing this site with all my friends. I am currently in a situation with the aid of Consumer Affairs. However have found more helpful advice here than with Consumer Affairs. I'm not dishing CA, however it was clear to us not long ago, due to their lack of resources, workers, legal knowledge we needed to step up. And I did by coming across this site. It has given me quick, concise information and helped me move on. I am not yet finished with the issue, however the burden has been lifted by the discovery of LawAnswers.com.au. Many Thanks!

lawanswers

Staff member
6 April 2014
Happy New Year!
Thank you for contributing to the LawAnswers community in 2014. What started as an experiment early last year to help everyday Australians better understand popular legal issues, has become one of the most popular - and fastest growing - legal websites in Australia.

LawAnswers members asked over 2,000 legal questions in 2014. Did you know that the most popular legal forums for 2014 were:
  1. Family Law Forum
  2. Criminal Law Forum
  3. Property Law Forum
Recent Testimonials
Here are some recent testimonials from LawAnswers members:
“I think LawAnswers is a great concept and I have already had helpful responses to my questions. Will recommend to my family and friends.”

“Very helpful. Great way to get answers as well as finding out things you didn't consider before. Thank you.”

“I would rate my recent LawAnswers.com.au experience highly. Nice to have an informal place where people can give you some guidance.”
Please Share LawAnswers.com.au with Friends and Family
If you’ve found LawAnswers.com.au useful, please share with your friends, family and colleagues - Our community is open for legal questions 24x7. You can follow LawAnswers on Twitter and Facebook too!

With Special Thanks To…
A special shout out to our top contributors: Sarah J, John R, Tim W, Sophea, Rod, AllForHer, winston wolf and YOU!

There are so many knowledgeable members (both lawyers and non-lawyers alike) and if you haven't yet participated, please feel free to do so at any time (or Contact Us if you require technical support to participate).

Wishing you a happy, safe and non-litigious New Year!

31 July 2015

There are complex restrictions on how lawyers can advertise and provide legal advice in each Australian state and territory.

That said, as a qualified lawyer, I receive legal questions from friends almost every day. Wanting to help friends to help themselves with their legal questions and reduce strain on the under resourced legal aid system, I started LawAnswers.com.au as an experiment to understand whether a diverse community of Australians (both lawyers and non-lawyers alike) could enable their fellow Australians to better understand popular legal issues.

I've also been partially inspired by the Good Judgment Project in the US where unqualified people using Google were able to estimate the probability of intelligence events with the same or better accuracy than trained CIA agents.

I warmly share LawAnswers.com.au with you as your forum for Australian legal Q&A!
Yes it's very noble but sadly the establishment doesn't view your style of thinking

lawanswers

Staff member
6 April 2014
Hi @George chambers
The reality is that technology enables increased access to information (and in an ideal world, this should deliver improved justice outcomes). Some parts of the establishment may be reluctant to accept the "new world", but fortunately, I believe that they are the minority.

It is important to remember that LawAnswers.com.au is still an experiment - it's still young, it isn't perfect and nowhere near finished. That said, I'm confident that the LawAnswers.com.au community will continue to make a great, positive impact in helping Australians to better understand the law (and where appropriate, find the right lawyer or legal solution to assist them to resolve their matter).

Thanks again for your feedback,
Seamus :)

D

Deleted member 17143

It is the best free law advice platform I have seen and the people very helpful, thank you

Reactions: PosComs

PosComs

25 March 2021
Perth, WA

Seamus youre a bloody legend even my young daughter 15 loves reading the forums... maybe a lawyer in the making.

Reactions: lawanswers