WA Tenancy agreement validity

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

T Mo

29 August 2018
Hi,
As a tenant we have discovered that the property manager does not hold a Real Estate Sales Representative Registration or Real Estate and Business Agent Licence. Does this make the agreement invalid?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is the agreement between yourself and the landlord? or between yourself and the agent?

Most agreement are the former and will be valid regardless of who gave you the form to complete. Assumes the form itself is valid under WA laws.

T Mo

29 August 2018
Is the agreement between yourself and the landlord? or between yourself and the agent?

Most agreement are the former and will be valid regardless of who gave you the form to complete. Assumes the form itself is valid under WA laws.

T Mo

29 August 2018
Okay, I have to get the agreement off of a cotenant but I will check that out. Thanks.

T Mo

29 August 2018
The tenancy agreement is between the tenants and the lessor. The property manager without a qualification was signatory on the agreement, acting for the lessor.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
OK. I'm not in WA and not familiar enough with the WA tenancy and real estate laws to know if failure to have a registration or licence would invalid the agreement.

In Vic it is unlikely to invalidate the agreement, but would make the agent liable for fines.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
As a general thing, the agreement (that is, the lease) is between the landlord and tenant.
The agent is simply the landlord's intermediary.
So far as the validity of the lease is concerned, I'm pretty confident that you'll be OK.

How did you come to find out the agent was not licensed?