NSW Sydney Council Parking Ticket with Error - Go to Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DSM 70

9 March 2015
I recently received a council parking ticket from the City of Sydney. I requested a review under extenuating circumstances but this was rejected. I then noticed that the ticket had an error in the vehicle make i.e. vehicle is Lexus, ticket says Toyota.
If this went to court, will it result in the case being thrown out?

S

Sophea

Hi DSM 70,

Only about 20% of parking ticket appeals are successful. Generally the successful ones are based on things such as - car broke down, lost keys, mistake of fact as to the area to which the parking limits applied etc, not errors. You have a chance at it, but I would say your chances are less than 50%.

Michael T

9 April 2014
What were your extenuating circumstances? They'd have to be really good to get our of a parking fine.

The fact that there was a minor error on the fine does not make it invalid. The fine still stands. Also, I know its not what you want to hear, but Lexus is the luxury division of Toyota, so its not that farfetched to have it fall under the Toyota category!

If you have true extenuating circumstances, the court may reduce the penalty, but you still may have to pay the fine. See NSW SDRO (State Debt Recovery Office) 'Having Your Penalty Notice Decided in Court' booklet that sets out the options that the court may decide. http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/lib/docs/forms/sfs_pn_002.pdf

DSM 70

9 March 2015
Hi, Thanks for your responses. I knew it might have been a long shot.
In the UK the case would be dismissed as the vehicle make on the ticket does not match the registration documents.
Seems Australia is not so tight on the detail.