QLD Disputing Council Parking Ticket?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

King Neptune

9 January 2017
I received a parking ticket from Council 6 months ago which I am disputing. Their ticket machine wasn't working and per instructions on it I called their centre. The person on the phone gave me a case # to verify the call 'in case I got a ticket' and advised it had been reported that the machine was broken.

When I submitted the initial dispute with details, Council's response was that a ticket officer confirmed the machine was working, and I should have put in an incorrect # plate, gone to another parking area to pay, parked somewhere else, etc. None of these options are listed on the machine under what to do if it's not working, and the person on the phone made no mention of needing to do this. Council has sent demand letters, and I've now elected to have the matter heard by a magistrate.

Question: is there good grounds that my dispute will be successful?

I've requested the call transcript, have a video of the machine not working (albeit from a couple of weeks prior) and photos of what the machine says to do if its not working. There are no T&C's printed on their tickets.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes. Take all your evidence (3 copies - one for you, one for magistrate, one for other side) to court, plead your case and hope the magistrate is feeling lenient on the day. Don't get emotional, don't argue with the magistrate, just state the facts and see how you go.