NSW Summons served on 16 year old

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Julee

14 April 2019
Hi, can a summons to an adult be served to their child who is 16 years old? I was under the impression they could not be served on an individual under the age of 18 if the summons was not for the child.
I also thought a summons had to be issued to the party on the documents and not to a third party.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Summons? For what?

Julee

14 April 2019
Relates to a required court appearance which resulted in a judgement due to a debt. Long story which I won't go into. They served the summons to their 16 yr old son, not them directly.

Atticus

6 February 2019
If you mean the server left a document ment for a parent with a 16 year old? ... This may be of interest >>> (ii) it may be left, addressed to the person to whom it is directed, at that person's business or residential address, with a person who is apparently of or above the age of 16 years and apparently employed or residing at that address

SOURCE >>> UNIFORM CIVIL PROCEDURE RULES 2005 - REG 10.20 Personal service required only in certain circumstances

This relates in particular to service of a subpoena, but may also be relevant for a summons

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi, can a summons to an adult be served to their child who is 16 years old? I was under the impression they could not be served on an individual under the age of 18 if the summons was not for the child.
I also thought a summons had to be issued to the party on the documents and not to a third party.
I agree with @Atticus.
I'm afraid your impression was mistaken.