LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Solicitor Asked for Passport for Verification - Will Drivers Licence Do?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Frankie, 25 July 2015.

1. Frankie

Frankie Member

Hi, I have been informed I have been left a small amount of money by a relative in their will. The solicitor has asked for a copy of my passport as proof of who I am. My passport is out of date, will it still suffice? If not, will my drivers licence do?

Thank you.

2. Frankie

Frankie Member

How long does it take to get an answer to my question? Do I have to wait here, for answer, or do you inform me by email of the answer. I'm not being smart, I just need to do things and am wondering how long it takes to get an answer. I also forgot to mention, the solicitor I am dealing with is in Ireland.

3. winston wolf

winston wolf Well-Known Member

Hi Frankie.

How forums work is that when one or more of the members have an answer they will post it when they get a chance. It is a community rather than a paid service.

Firstly are you sure of the validity of the lawyer as is a lot of identity theft? (Just saying in case)

As to the lawyers requirement it will depend on them in the first instance. Have they rejected a certified copy of your licence?

lawanswers likes this.
  4. Frankie

Frankie Member

Thank you so much for your reply Winston. The solicitor is valid and I have not asked as yet if the license will suffice. It's difficult enough to get them to reply to my emails, I want as little contact as possible with them. Would the out of date passport along with the license, perhaps do the trick? :)

5. winston wolf

winston wolf Well-Known Member

If you cant contact them and it is all you have, give it a go.

Have both copied in colour and have them certified by a JP.

6. Frankie

Frankie Member

Thank you Winston, that's a very good idea.