VIC Solicitor Asked for Passport for Verification - Will Drivers Licence Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Frankie

25 July 2015
Hi, I have been informed I have been left a small amount of money by a relative in their will. The solicitor has asked for a copy of my passport as proof of who I am. My passport is out of date, will it still suffice? If not, will my drivers licence do?

Thank you.

Frankie

25 July 2015
How long does it take to get an answer to my question? Do I have to wait here, for answer, or do you inform me by email of the answer. I'm not being smart, I just need to do things and am wondering how long it takes to get an answer. I also forgot to mention, the solicitor I am dealing with is in Ireland.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Hi Frankie.

How forums work is that when one or more of the members have an answer they will post it when they get a chance. It is a community rather than a paid service.

Firstly are you sure of the validity of the lawyer as is a lot of identity theft? (Just saying in case)

As to the lawyers requirement it will depend on them in the first instance. Have they rejected a certified copy of your licence?

Reactions: lawanswers

Frankie

25 July 2015
Thank you so much for your reply Winston. The solicitor is valid and I have not asked as yet if the license will suffice. It's difficult enough to get them to reply to my emails, I want as little contact as possible with them. Would the out of date passport along with the license, perhaps do the trick? :)

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
If you cant contact them and it is all you have, give it a go.

Have both copied in colour and have them certified by a JP.