SA Sibling of the deceased rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jane444

3 November 2017
A couple of simple questions.
As a sibling of the deceased (adult), If I believe matters are unresolved or sus, am I able to push matters further in regards to hiring a criminal lawyer, ensuring investigations are/were pursued thoroughly, able to acquire information from detectives, etc?
Is there any transparency for brothers/sisters, or does all information regarding the case simply go to the parents?

Do siblings have any rights in this regard?

Jane444

3 November 2017
unresolved? in relation to wills? or cause of death? or something else?
The death was quickly labelled as an intended overdose. Therefore, there was a lack of forensic evidence collected at the premises, and the investigation was very limited. It is entirely possible that other party(s) at the premises were involved, intentionally, or unintentionally. However, the detective has not interviewed or taken statements from anyone that were close to the deceased, besides the parents and the party(s) that were at the premises at the time of death. Many other people who were friends with the deceased would have witnessed relationship issues and obsessive behaviour by the partner of the deceased. How do you gather documentation surrounding the investigation? Is it in my right to question the investigation process, and would it even make a difference? Do you hire someone to do this?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What have you got that suggests it was not an overdose,
other than gut feeling?