NSW Shared Care - Covering Medical Bill Debt?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cmacbstar

25 April 2018
Hello,

I hope someone can offer me some help. I have shared care of my children 50/50. My son got very sick in August while in my care. My ex-wife and I were informed that there was a case of meningitis in his class. I took my son to the doctor and on arrival, he was placed on oxygen and the doctor called the ambulance. The ambulance bill was sent to my ex-wife’s address. It was ignored until now and has now been passed on the state debt recovery.

On handover of the children, she gave the NSW revenue to my son to give to me. Initially, when I contacted her, she said that she would pay half, which I would assume with shared responsibility was a fair thing. She is now saying she isn’t paying because she did not authorise the ambulance ride.

She has told me she has changed my son's address so the bill will now be sent to me. $846 dollars may not sound like a lot of money but it is for me. State debt recovery, on speaking with them today said they cannot split the bill.

Is there anything I can do? My concern is going forward, what happens if kids need braces, etc. in the future, can I just expect this to continue?

Thank you. Any help would be great.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Without orders in place, forcing your ex to pay half sadly, I suspect you're out of luck and this kind of behaviour will happen in the future and there isn't much else you can do about it besides budget accordingly.

You have 50/50 care. Sadly there are many people on this forum that would do anything to have 50/50 care.

If it costs you $846 to keep the peace and not start up a family court fight or make the ex-wife withhold the child from you then you probably just have to smile and pay it and be the responsible adult.

As for future expenses like braces. Start saving now assuming the Ex won't pay. If there comes a time she decides to go halves, that's a bonus and you will have a few extra bucks in your pocket.

I hope someone else can give you better opinions but short of mediation/ coming to an agreement with her, I think you're stuck unless the bill was addressed to her and the debt collectors are going to chase her if it's not paid.

sammy01

27 September 2015
OK so I'm thinking that you called the ambo? Your bill. She didn't authorise it... Good. So when it comes time for braces, I'd suggest you agree to go 50/50. Kids are more important than arguments with the ex. But you have no obligation to pay for braces... Medical emergency? Different story.

Or I have another angle - the bill is in her name? State debt recovery will come after her. So ignore this one and smile... It should be you offering to pay half the bill and her graciously accepting. Until the bill arrives and is addressed to you, I reckon you've got nothing to worry about.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, you can expect this sort of thing to continue.
Disputes over bills are a typical blunt tool used by estranged parents to stuff each other up.

As you may observe from readng the family law content here,
it's less about fairness, and more about power play.

It's time to adult-up and go for Parenting Orders.

For the benefit of later readers, I'll say this...
get private ambulance cover through a health insurer.
A hundred bucks a year makes this stuff go away.
And, unofficially, helps make you look like the sensible, responsible one.

Cmacbstar

25 April 2018
OK so I'm thinking that you called the ambo? Your bill. She didn't authorise it... Good. So when it comes time for braces, I'd suggest you agree to go 50/50. Kids are more important than arguments with the ex. But you have no obligation to pay for braces... Medical emergency? Different story.

Or I have another angle - the bill is in her name? State debt recovery will come after her. So ignore this one and smile... It should be you offering to pay half the bill and her graciously accepting. Until the bill arrives and is addressed to you, I reckon you've got nothing to worry about.

Hi sammy thank you for your reply. I didnt call the ambulance the ambulance was called by a third party, the doctor. My ex wife was present on the day because i called her. Her arguement is, i should pay because my son was in my care that week, we have 50% shared care. However the week prior i had payed my sons peidiatrician bill. I have payed all peidiatrician bills for appointments that i have attended with my son. This particular bill was an appointment my ex wife attended

Cmacbstar

25 April 2018
Hi sammy thank you for your reply. I didnt call the ambulance the ambulance was called by a third party, the doctor. My ex wife was present on the day because i called her. Her arguement is, i should pay because my son was in my care that week, we have 50% shared care. However the week prior i had payed my sons peidiatrician bill. I have payed all peidiatrician bills for appointments that i have attended with my son. This particular bill was an appointment my ex wife attended
With my son. She didnt pay because eftpos was down on the day. After numerous attempts to contact her, the peidiatrician called me and i was asked to pay it. Which i did. This appointment was while my son was in her care.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Look it sucks.

It's Christmas and we're all broke.

No point stressing over it. Pay the bill and move on.

I had court Orders that were signed and agreed by the Ex saying she is supposed to pay half of daycare fees.
She owes me about $5,000 in fee's not the mention the child support she's never paid and the Orders to tell me where she lives.

Start putting $5 to $50 away per week into a separate bank account (or sub account) use this money for Bills only. When your kid needs $200 for a school trip. Just pay it. Ask for the money from your ex and when you don't get it just move on and be happy that your kid is happy.

Yeah this advice sucks and so do ex's. But if you stress less you will have more fun with your kid and they will see that and see that Dad is a good guy. I want to hang with Dad.