WA Settling Commercial Law Dispute Regarding Technology that Doesn't Work?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michael6262

28 June 2015
I have recently received from a lawyer a request to settle a legal dispute that I buy their clients' technology off them for over half a million dollars.

I asked due diligence questions about the technology offered and they said I should buy it as they have no need to discuss further. Upon a chance meeting with another party I discovered that they had trialed the technology they are trying to sell to me (to settle the law suit) and it did not work. It has now become evident that the lawyer representing them in this knows this fact as well.

Can they do this, and what would you recommend as a course of action under commercial law?

Thank you in advance.

DennisD

11 July 2014
Hi Michael6262
It sounds like there's quite a bit of context to this beyond what you've described.

Lawyers can request that you do this or that, but if you only entered due diligence discussions without making further purchase commitments then in principle (not being familiar with your circumstances) you won't have further commitments.

If you're looking for in depth guidance on how to navigate your specific circumstances you would do well to engage a lawyer, especially as it sounds that the sums involved are substantial.