VIC Removal of ex partners personal property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob P

19 April 2018
Recently, my mum has separated with her partner of 6 years and asked him to leave the house, which he (thankfully) did. Unfortunately, he was a bit of a hoarder and has left her garage and house full of personal property (tools, clothing, a desk, a fridge, a BBQ and a car).
She wants to get rid of it and has told him to remove it all from the house, but he is refusing to do so. We have been to the local police station and were told that, as he wasn't on the lease, she was within her right to remove all of it after an appropriate time period had lapsed (after 28 days of written notice), however, I wasn't completely satisfied with that answer.
Can someone please point me in the direction of any relevant state and/or Commonwealth legislation, or let me know of your own personal experiences?
We, unfortunately, cannot afford to go to a solicitor for professional advice, and Legal Aid won't help her as she doesn't have a concession of any type.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Reactions: Timothy Longmire