WA Separation from Husband without Using a Lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

freshstartin2015

20 December 2014
How can I still get legal separation? I can no longer afford to continue with a lawyer as costs are getting too much and husband is refusing to respond to family law documents.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I assume that by legal separation, you mean divorce?

You don't need legal representation for a divorce - you simply need to be separated for a period of at least 12 months before filing the documentation the court and the divorce is finalised after one month and one day from the hearing. A divorce hearing doesn't usually require attendance, but if there are kids under the age of 18 involved, you may need to go to the court on the day of the hearing to tell the registrar or judge what arrangements have been made for care of the kids.

The more strenuous part is the division of assets and care arrangements for the kids. You can self-represent through each of these matters as well, but as Sarah J pointed out, it can be highly stressful and daunting as it requires you to gain a sound knowledge of the Family Law Act 1975 and of court procedures.

Summarily, yes, you can give notice of dismissal of legal representation at any time in proceedings.

Reactions: Sarah J

freshstartin2015

20 December 2014
I am wanting to get it legal separation as i want to have the financial sorted as i have little income. I thought that as i had a lawyer it would be less stressful though husband would not respond to any documents which only caused more stress and costly.I was wondering if i can get assistants to continue without the high costs.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Legal Aid should be able to help you with this. Contact them and they'll be able to give you some more direction and may be able to represent you.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Freshstartin2015,

As allforher has said, for a divorce (legal separation) you need to wait 12 months of separation. You can go to the Family Court for a declaration for the start date for separation. As for division of assets, you can start negotiating a financial agreement now.

freshstartin2015

20 December 2014
I have been having a long and drawn out separation over 2years now still not legal I had a lawyer for a while and stopped as was told he was not here to help me financially the costs of this was expensive and still in same spot.I was wanting to know if i go and get the separation done on my own can i state to the courts that ex husband didn't comply to any documents or would it still be advisable to have legal support, It is only for property and spousal maintenance/ and superanuation split children are all adults