WA Separation from De Facto - What to do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

shontay

24 January 2015
Hi. I have been in my de facto relationship for 3 years and have 2 children with him, plus I have 2 from my previous relationship. I don't want to be in the relationship anymore as I am really unhappy and he can be extremely nasty to the children. I need to move back home. I live 4 hours away from my family. He's not physically abusive but he is mentally. He's told me if I leave, he will either kill me or himself. I don't want that to happen with a separation from him. I am really scared, what can I do?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Shontay,

Given that you are really scared about your relationship and about leaving him, I would suggest speaking with some hotlines on domestic abuse. Whilst you may not think this is domestic abuse in the "common" sense (i.e. no physical abuse), if you are being mentally abused or manipulated and scared of leaving him even though you want to, you should speak with them. They will be able to advise you in this sensitive area and point you in some helpful directions. See: Woman's Domestic Violence Helpline

If you believe you or your children may be at risk, it is worthwhile contacting Legal Aid about placing a restraining order against him.

Another resource is the police.

S

Sophea

Hi Shontay,

Sounds like a very difficult situation and your partner seems quite volatile. Given that he has made threats regarding your personal safety I agree with Sarah's advice to contact one of the above agencies, even though you may not think the situation is very serious or that you can handle it on your own. Mental and emotional abuse are recognise forms of domestic abuse. If you need to get out of there for your own emotional well being and that of your children you need to do it, but with the help of a support agency, in case he does what he says he will do.