NSW Scuffed car door next to me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robot76

4 December 2017
Hi Everyone,

Could I please get some advice?
Today I went to do the shopping and parked in the local shopping car park. Due to the car spots being narrow, when I opened my door I accidentally made a small impact to the cars door next to me.
I could see there was a small bit of paint scuff matching the colour of my vehicle, however I could not see any damage or paint from the other vehicle on my car.

Since I could not see any damage to my car or paint from the other vehicle on my door, I assumed that the scuff mark on their door may of been done by another vehicle and some other time and not by me.
I just left and continued with my day.

I am just wondering should I have still left some sort of note on their car stating what happened, even though the scuff mark to their car may of been done by someone else?
I just don't want to implicate myself if I did not cause the damage, and when I say damage, I could see no dents or scratched paint, It was just a scuff mark.

Should I expect the police to rock up at my door or their insurance to chase me thinking that I caused the damage?
What are my legal rights, from what I have read, failing to provide or leave a note at the scene is classed as a hit and run and I can be charged, Again I just cant confirm it was me that scuffed their car door as I have no damage to my vehicle?

Any advice, help, thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you