QLD School forcing me to come out to my mum?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


26 February 2015
My school (Private) is forcing me and telling me that I have to tell my mother I'm bisexual by tonight or they're going to to call her and tell her. This was all started due to the fact that I asked a girl in my grade 'out' to the formal and she felt 'awkward' so she went and told the school. This than resulted in me wanting to OD which then the school found out, and now they're telling me I have to tell my mother because it contradicts with the confidentiality agreement because they think I'm now going to kill myself, which I've told them it was because I thought my mother was going to kick me out and now they are making the situation worse. I need some sort of legal advice in which I can stop them forcing me to my mother my sexuality but still allows them to tell her I wanted to kill myself but keep the reasons disclosed.

Michael T

Well-Known Member
9 April 2014
What does the confidentiality agreement say? When it comes to self harm, the school may have an obligation to report to the parent.

Yes, you could negotiate with the school that they can inform your parent that you had been having suicidal thoughts, but not to disclose your sexuality. You might also extend to the school that you will get counselling to help cope with things - especially the last year of school can be stressful and many high functioning people seek professional help. I encourage you to reach out to Headspace (headspace - Australia’s National Youth Mental Health Foundation)


Well-Known Member
10 February 2015
Hi Abigail,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding support and understanding in expressing your sexuality. That must be really difficult.

The duty of care that the school has is to you, not your parents. If your school believes that you are at risk after this incident, then they have a responsibility to make sure that you are safe and often school policy dictates that this includes notifying parent/s. However your school should be considering your needs first and foremost. Is there a guidance counsellor or other teacher that you trust at your school? I suggest that you contact them if you haven't already and ask for their support. Can you organise a session with your mum present where you tell her how you have been feeling?