QLD Ex Pulling Daughter Out of School - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joerogan

24 October 2016
My daughter has just turned 14.Her mother is her prime carer and I have struggled to get my daughter to stay with me this last year as her mother is telling her she doesn't have to if she doesn't want to. My ex is bitter toward me, stemming from my leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses organisation and the fact that I have a new partner and is not at all supportive of my role as her father.

My daughter has been missing school for the last few months, and now her and her mother have decided to pull her out all together and attempt home schooling. Her reason for leaving is social anxiety, yet she regularly attends church and even goes door knocking.

I feel it is more a matter of a lack of motivation toward school work.This week I spoke to her high school principal, only to be told that her mother has picked up the forms for H to leave school. After telling the principal that I do not give my permission, the principal sought legal advice and then called back to tell me that the school's hands were tied and that they were closing the case.

I would have thought they needed the consent of both parents.Not sure what to do now. I would be grateful of any help.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So you need to go to court. Forget the school - you need to go to family court, but there are lots of problems, so your chances of getting a good result? Not great, especially given the child's age. Their wishes will be considered and the whole JW thing.

I hope someone can give you better help.