NSW Can School Force Religious Obligations Upon Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

frog lord

15 August 2017
Hi.

I was wondering if my school was allowed to force me to do things that are against my religion. If my religion states that I cannot worship any other God, can they legally make me pray to another God and get me in trouble if I don't?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. if my school was allowed to force me to do things that are against my religion. 2. If my religion states that I cannot worship any other God can they legally make me pray to another God and get me in trouble if I don't.

1. Possibly. Give us an example of what you mean. For example if the school insists on wearing a school uniform and that is against your religion, then the school right overrides your religious right. Your option is to find another school that supports all your religious beliefs. This is why there are religious schools available to support strongly held beliefs. Personally I find segregation, even self-imposed segregation, to be antithetical to Australian values. It is hard to foster tolerance when groups in society stay independent of each other.

2. No. Everyone in Australia has the freedom of religion. I know someone who converted from Baptist to Muslim. Though in reality they both pray to the same god, they just go about it in different ways.