NSW Scammed by Mule Recruitment - On Student Visa - Deported from Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

t13

11 May 2016
First, I am a complete idiot to be scammed into this kind of thing and I can't do anything now because it has been done. I was fortunately informed by my bank institution last week that the second money transfer the scammer sent me was stolen money.

The first transaction had gone to the scammer and the second one, I gave it to the bank to deal with. The bank staff kindly told me that the bank are tracking down the rest of money sent and it will be very fast and told me not to worry, so I did not do anything and went home with a new bank account (old account shut immediately). I can receive payments online and send money, but it will show as pending and I cannot withdraw money. I figured I had to wait for the bank to settle the issue.

Until recently, I read posts that victims of mule recruitments/money mules can also be the offender! I am an international student in Australia. I know, I was stupid, an idiot, a dumbass for being tricked but I gullibly thought that the job ad was real with their website and all. And I read about how my visa could be revoked and expelled from the country! The bank has not contacted me about anything yet, but what should I do now?! I am thinking of going to the police tomorrow but what should I do if I am really expelled from Australia?!

I am also going back to my country for school holiday this Friday and I do not want to be detained in the airport or anything!

Please give some answers! Much help appreciated, thank you!!

S

Sophea

Hi t13, I assumed you have returned to your country in the meantime, since your post was back in May. How did things go?

I would have thought that if you were not detained for questioning over the transactions straight away then you don't have anything to worry about. Generally, if you are able to prove that you were innocently involved in the transactions and were legitimately scammed then you won't be held accountable for it.

Let us know how you are.