QLD Tenant's rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Paul y

7 April 2022
I signed a contract as a tenant to lease a three-bedroom home in Queensland Australia due to black toxic mould in one of the rooms bedrooms it is no longer usable or habitable or safe for the physical health of anyone that would reside in that room the mould removalists came to the property and told me it would take quite a significant time to remedy due to approval by the insurance company and the ceiling would need to be removed as it is not habitable to be in and is behind the walls this will take a significant amount of time on top of the wait for the insurance company to approve of the removal. It is unclear how far the toxic mould is spread behind the walls in the home so the remedial of the issue may be greater than what is visible. I signed a contract for a 3 bedroom home for an over priced amount of $700 a week, which I have paid without hesitation every month, at one stage was 8 weeks ahead on top of the monthly payments, but due to prior issues with maintenance not being fixed within a reasonable time I no longer trusted my money being with this agent for the extended 8 week ahead, so I am now 4 weeks ahead at a time. Seeing as I signed a contract for a 3 bedroom home, and not a 2 bedroom home, and the 2nd spare bedroom has no air-conditioning and this is in far north qld where the weather is extremely humid and hot all year round so is unusable as it is anyway. So technically it is actually now more so a 1 bedroom home due to one room being infected with toxic mould, and the other having no air-conditioning is unusable, therefore I have my main bedroom and that is it. I signed Ed a co tract for a 3 bedroom home at $700 per week which is well over priced for the type of home it is, but due to the lack of rentals in the area decided I was better off accepting the lease than possibly not being able to be approved for a property that is what you would normally get for that price in my area (4 bedroom homes with pools), do I legally have to continue to pay the $700 per week rent that I originally signed up to Pay for a 3 bedroom home, when it is now a 1 bedroom home. I do not feel this is fair nor could possibly be legal but my requests for a reduced rent amount has been refused and I do not know my rights as a tenant in this regard in QLD Australia