Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!


Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by L. B., 17 July 2017.

  1. L. B.

    L. B. Member

    17 July 2017
    Likes Received:
    We bought a property 5 years ago which has a large (6foot) retaining wall on it (Our block is sloped down from the road level). The Timber Sleeper and Timber Stumped wall (which has live termites and Rot by the way) is retaining the council Footpath and Road Reserve. The only survey that has been drawn up we are guessing was conducted around the time the roads were built (1920-1930) and doesn't show anything about the wall or give us any idea where our property boundary lines are. Therefore the council has denied any knowledge of the wall and that it must have been built by a previous owner. Our Council did lose alot of property files back in the 80's apparently so this may be why there is no information of our property. From what i have found council has to give consent to build a retaining wall higher than 1mtr therefore they should have records of it. When we bought the property we were also told by the real estate that it was council land.
    Where do we go from here? is there a higher authority we can talk to? If we have a survey done and it states its council land do they automatically have responsibility? I have already spoken to council 3 times and the local councilors and engineers.
  2. Matt King

    Matt King Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

    8 February 2017
    Likes Received:
    Hi L.B.

    Retaining walls and Local Council's can be a very tricky area.

    In short, Development Approval should have been sought initially. If not, then it becomes an issue between the landowner and your local council.

    If you cant resolve the issue with them then you have the Land and Environment Court to appeal to.

    I can assist you with this if you like on 0408 156 241.

    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tripe

    Tripe Well-Known Member

    22 May 2017
    Likes Received:
    Most modern councils (+ states) run A GIS system that allows free use to the public that is capable of displaying aerial photos of your property and accurate cadastral boundary lines, you should be able to access this on your PC and see where your boundaries are. This can be a quick method to see where things are.

    Other than this, you will need to engage a registered land surveyor to repeg your boundary, $1000?

    I don't think you can think much further about your problem until you know where you property boundary finishes.

Share This Page