NSW Retaining wall on council land

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

N.W.

28 December 2020
Hi, we bought our property about 5 years ago which slopes down and away from the road, and has a large retaining wall at the top, with a driveway and carport below the retaining wall. The wall is 12-14 feet high, extending 4 foot above ground level as a fence. It is a concrete brick wall and looks to have been here since the property was built in the 70s from what I can tell. Last year, the nbn was installed, and they dug up the land above the wall to do the installation. Since then the wall has developed a significant bow and cracked in two places down the wall. I have called the council to report my concerns, who then sent me a letter indicating that someone had complained about my wall and I that needed to send them a report from a structural engineer. I called the council who confirmed that I was in fact the complainant, and I told them that this was a civil matter between them and the nbn co. They had me put this in email, and I have not heard back. That was two months ago. Looking at the council gis map online, the wall is clearly on council land. Given the risk of it falling and collapsing, compromising gas lines, nbn, and the electrical power pole on the nature strip supported by the wall, what do I do next? Also, is the gis map accurate?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Put it in writing again and send it to the legal department via registered post,