Received Letter of Suspension from Employer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

robyn

14 June 2014
On Thursday I was asked if I needed time off work I said no that I didn't want to use my hols or sick leave as I just had to use 2 weeks sick leave. I was told to consider it a gesture and not to read anything into it. After deliberation I said that I would take the following day to give me headspace. Hung up. Then got thinking and thought that it could reflect back on me I rang and said that I would not take the day off and would be at work of Friday. At no time was I told this was a request or was the word request used or that if I turned up for work there would be consequences etc. at no time during my shift on the day did anyone say anything to me in regards to this. Finished my shift at 3pm and at 6pm received a letter of suspension for two weeks reason given was because I turned up to work when I was requested not to. At no time during the previous day telephone call was I requested not to turn up for work the following day. Where do I now stand?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Robyn,
  1. Are you a member of a union?
  2. Have you discussed the matter with your manager or HR Manager?

robyn

14 June 2014
On Thursday i was asked if I needed time off work I said no that I didn't want to use my hols or sick leave as I just had to use 2 weeks sick leave. I was told to consider it a gesture and not to read anything into it. After deliberation I said that I would take the following day to give me headspace. Hung up. Then got thinking and thought that it could reflect back on me I rang and said that I would not take the day off and would be at work of Friday. At no time was I told this was a request or was the word request used or that if I turned up for work there would be consequences etc. at no time during my shift on the day did anyone say anything to me in regards to this. Finished my shift at 3pm and at 6pm received a letter of suspension for two weeks reason given was because I turned up to work when I was requested not to. At no time during the previous day telephone call was I requested not to turn up for work the following day. Where do I now stand?

No John not a union member and yes I rang and spoke with the Manager after receipt of email. I was asked to confirm receipt of email. When I said that at no time was I made aware that this was a request or was the word used or that I was asked not to come to work she denied this. I now feel that I should not be having any one on one phone conversations, can I ask that all contact be made through email.?

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Robyn, yes you can request contact be made through email. Probably a good idea as it leaves a paper trail. This sounds relatively serious. You should be notified of the reason for the suspension, as how else can you deal with it.

Perhaps call the Fair Work Ombudsman or the Fair Work Commission for some further advice. Or see a local community legal centre.

Paul.

Reactions: John R

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Robyn,
Good to hear that you have an appointment with an employment lawyer. Please keep us updated with your progress. All the best!

Reactions: Paul Cott